Did you know, there are more than 250 social enterprises in the Wigan borough?
These unique businesses combine purpose with profit: meaning they deliver services or sell products that make a positive difference to communities.
This Social Enterprise Day (November 17th), we’re showing you how easy it is to support the borough’s social enterprises through your day-to-day purchases.
As there are so many social enterprises to showcase, we’ll be sharing plenty more examples of ways to shop social in the months to follow.
Happy Social Enterprise Day!
- Kick the day off with a brew and brekkie at the Embrace Hidden Gem Café at Platt Bridge Community Zone
- Manage your money with Unify Credit Union; the local, not-for-profit alternative to high street banks with branches across the borough and online services.
- Doing the big shop? Buy groceries that are too good to wastes from food waste social enterprise Fur Clemt in Wigan, or The Bridge in Leigh
- Get moving on your daily workout with Boxing for Better or Idaraya Life’s free exercise sessions
- Don’t have access to a car, or unable to use public transport? Drive there using transport social enterprise, Driven
- Get creative with or without the kids – makers, artists, creators, geeks and nerds are invited to Leigh Hackspace or women can sharpen their upcycling and creative skills with ReMade Wigan
- Finish the day with a date night at Leigh Film Factory or The Old Courts in Wigan
Interested in learning more about social enterprises in Wigan and Leigh- or feeling inspired to start your own?
Contact the Proper Good Wigan Borough programme lead, Alex Winstanley for a chat about all things social enterprise – and the free support available to help you start one! email@example.com.